"As you take the normal opportunities of your daily life and create something of beauty and helpfulness,
you improve not only the world around you but also the world within you"

Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Cinema Saturday Creative Challenge # 14 "Fellowship of the Rings"


OK. So I'm totally late getting my Challenge cards done... But I am so happy with the results...

I think there are a few key elements in the Lord of the Rings that stick out to me... 
1st~ THE RING.... and the representation of the "Machine" as J.R.R. Tolkein says.. Representing the things of the world that comsume our lives... And could we give them up if we have to.. The things that we wish we could go back in time and make sure never exist... 
2nd~ FRIENDSHIP & LOYALTY... Sam typifies the truest form of the word FRIEND.... I am amazed and overcome with Sam everytime I watch this movie.. He is truly the epitome of friendship... Like our savior in the poem "Foot Prints".  He can't take away all our burdens, but He is always there to carry us along the way and lift us when we need him. He is just waiting patiently for us to ask him for help...
3rd~THE RELIGOUS SYMBOLS.  I read a lot about J.R.R. Tolkein preparing for this challenge. I have always known that he was a Christian, and that he and C.S. Lewis were friends.. I really enjoyed learning more about his history and beliefs... 

I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you.
J.R.R. Tolkein
2nd card~ Friend
The Fellowship offers friendship to help Frodo carry his burden... They fight to help him reach his destiny... This card is inspired by the Elves from "Rivendale". The colors are so soft and etherial in Rivendale...

3rd card~ Choices we have to make
"All we have is to decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
J.R.R. Tolkein
This is the first card I made. When I was watching LOTR, these warm colors just jumped out at me. The Heart represents The Fellowship  and the friendhip and loyalty that develops between them. They all learn to truly love other for who they are, not worry about how different they are. They learn to use each others' strength.. The leaf broach is attached to the cloaks of all the members of the fellowship. It remindes me of Life and how it just keeps moving forward... You can always turn over a new leaf... When I was trying to find a phrase for this card.. I wanted to sum up a lot of feelings.. There was an image in the later part of the move where Frodo is overwhelmed with his task and wished that this whole thing would never have happened... 
This is the exchange between them:


Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you were also meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought.

Sometimes we are handed things in life that we feel ill equipped to handle.. But the Lord never gives us things that we can't bear.. He give us the strength to carry our burden.. It might not seem fair but we chose to come to this earth and recieve a body, gain knowledge and prepare to return to Him someday.. We also agreed to the conditions that he placed before us upon departure... I am thankful for Prayer, Scripture, Church, Family and Others to help us grow and develop while we are on this earth...

Wierd trivia about me and the Lord of the Rings:

  • When I was a child I remember my dad reading the Hobbit and the other Lord of the Rings books.. I remember seeing them on his night stand and where they belonged on the book shelf..  My first experience with the Lord of the Rings series was listening to a radio broadcast that my dad recorded from public radio... It was so surreal... I could imagine being in the room standing a the same fireplace looking at the ring with Bilbo... I will have to see if he still has them and transfer them to dvd...
  • My dad developed a subdivision when I was a young girl and he named all the streets with Lord of the Rings names.. Example: Gangalf way.. etc..
  • Our second apartment complex after we were marries was named "Rivendale"  
I really got so inspired by this movie I watched the entire trilogy again... And loved it! The Lord of the Rings has really piqued my curiosity and I would love to learn more about J.R.R. Tolkein and all the symbolism behind the writings...

Please join us and make a project or poem or whatever you would like and post it on Cinema Saturday challenge blog.

Join us over at the Blog to see what everyone else has come up with...

Hobbit Hugs,

Brooke


5 comments:

Carol Dunstan said...

Hobbit hugs right back at you! I love all your cards, the colours, patterns, the deep meanings. I'm glad to see someone did a ring card (and the particular meaning behind it... I've had that swimming through my head too)!

Ann said...

Wow, Brooke! These are all amazing! I think the ring one is my favorite!

I just love seeing cards from these cinema challenges. It's so great to see what everyone comes up with, and to read all the stories about how they came together. You rock!

Sankari W. said...

BROOKE!! These are fantastic!! LOVE it! I can't believe all the research that you did! LOVE each card and the sentiments too - amazing - love the ring one and love love love the details of all of them!!! You totally rock my dear - so thankful for you as my friend!!!

much love always,
Sankari :)

Amy, Ottawa, Canada said...

Brooke, these are incredible. You did so much research too, wow. I had actually heard a few years ago in my LBS, Ladies Bible study, that Lewis & Tolkein were Christian buddies who challenged one another to come up with a story each, what creative imaginations! You ladies are too such creative minds, the crafts you come up with are inspiring. TFS all your work.

Lisa Brown said...

You cards are so awesome, Brooke! Makes me want to watch/ read all over again! Thanks for your inspiration!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin